Hi Bram!

On So, 27 Dez 2015, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> It's included in the distribution files.  I can add it to the git files,
> if needed.  Likewise for other binaries that are not so easy to obtain.

Can't you include and distribute the source?

> e.g. gvimext64.dll.

What is that used for? Is that for version 6.4?

> [...]
>
> > I have also enabled the following features:
> > * DirectWrite
> > * Lua  (LuaBinaries 5.3.2)
> > * Perl (ActivePerl 5.22)
> > * Ruby (RubyInstaller 2.2.3)
> > * Tcl  (ActiveTcl 8.6.4)
> > * Build *.mo files
> > * vim.exe
> >
> > I haven't enabled the OLE feature, because when I enabled it, the built
> > binary
> > didn't work on AppVeyor.
> >
> > You can see the patches at here:
> > https://github.com/vim/vim/compare/master...k-takata:appveyor-release
> >
> > The patches also include the following patches:
> > * https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/328#issuecomment-166502534
> > * https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_dev/vk-5rhFe_xw/discussion
> >
> > You can see the result at here:
> > https://ci.appveyor.com/project/k-takata/vim/build/33
> > And you can see the binaries at here:
> > https://ci.appveyor.com/project/k-takata/vim/build/33/job/y6y8rr56ufnv834y/artifacts
> > https://ci.appveyor.com/project/k-takata/vim/build/33/job/xob8gv86jpkheqyl/artifacts
> >

> > One more problem, gettext is not included. The official installer
> > (gvim74.exe)
> > includes very old version of Taro Muraoka's Win32 porting from here:
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/gettext/files/gettext-win32/0.10.35/
> > It doesn't have 64-bit version.
> >
> > I'm considering to use Taro's latest MSVC porting:
> > https://github.com/koron/gettext
> > https://github.com/koron/libiconv
>
> Assuming we manage to produce a gvim.exe and/or vim.exe that is equivalent
> to what's distributed, the ":Update" command could replace it.  A
> complication is that MS-Windows doesn't allow for running executables to
> be replaced, like we can on Unix.  Maybe there is a trick, such as
> running a small program that starts Vim and exits.  We also need to
> handle those "features" that warn you from executing something that was
> downloaded.
>
> This should be simpler than downloading the installer and re-installing
> everything.  Unfortunately NSIS doesn't support updating.

>From my experience, Windows users expect to close the application before
reinstalling it, so I would not try to be too clever here.

Providing updated binaries should help most users and I don't think we
need a to provide a build with all features enabled. The most important
part is to include updated runtime files and binaries. One problem on my
Windows 10 system however is, that my system blocks the execution of
those provided binaries, since the distributor could not be verified (or
a similar error).

Well, I will try to improve the appveyor build slightly from the
feedback given here so lets see where this leads to.

Thanks for all the feedback, especially from Ken. I will try to address
those points and I am sure, Ken will update his version as well. So
hopefully we'll have an almost equivalent build by using appveyor.

Best,
Christian