Hi Ken,

Thank you for the headsup!  Great.  Bram must feel relief now :)

> Hi,
>
> 2016/8/11 Thu 14:36:57 UTC+9 Kazunobu Kuriyama wrote:
> > Hi Tony,

> > > Hm. gui_gtk_x11.c is of course only for gvim with GTK GUI running on
> > > Linux-X11. GTK2, and now even GTK3 ("new in 8.0"), are of course the
> > > preferred GUIs for Vim on Linux these days, and for X11 in general
> > > (though a few older ones are still supported IIUC); however, what
> > > about other flavors of gvim? Such as gvim for Windows, and, maybe
> > > worse, MacVim (gvim for Mac-Cocoa IIUC), of which I think, but am not
> > > sure, that all its sources are included in the current "official" Vim
> > > sources. Do Windows and/or Mac have similar fonts? Won't they feel
> > > left out? The mechanisms to implement the corresponding Poor Man's
> > > Ligatures will of necessity be different because we're at too low a
> > > level for cross-platform programming to be possible all the way. Maybe
> > > you don't have the necessary OSes to build and test the corresponding
> > > gvim versions (neither do I) so it might perhaps be useful if some
> > > Windows Vim developer(s) and some Mac Vim developer(s) joined you on
> > > this project.
> > >
> > > I'm cross-posting on the vim_mac group because Mac people might (or
> > > might not) be interested; but this thread was started on vim_dev. Mac
> > > developers: please refer to vim_dev for the discussion's history.
> >
> > As for Mac-Cocoa, I haven't succeeded in building it with recent OSXs
> last 6 years. That build is automatically disabled at configure.
> >
> > As for MacVim, they've already merged a patch which enables ligatures
> into their repo. It was almost a year ago ( Aug 24, 2015).
> >
> > So...it's us who was left out.
> >
> > In my understanding, they made ligatures possible by tweaking an
> attribute of a class of character strings called NSAttributedString [2]
> (Actually, they are doing that through the Core API, not Cocoa).
> >
> > FYI, the latest nightly build of iTerm2, which is one of the popular
> terminals on Mac and seen a lot of Vimmer on console using the editor on
> it, starts supporting ligatures by a similar way.
> >
> > Rendering ligatures is done by using some information from font files.
> Therefore, as can been seen in two instances above, people usually rely on
> an rendering engine in use for that chore.
> >
> > In other words, since creating a new shaping module for the purpose of
> cross-platform is very tough, there's no feasible solution other than
> relying on GUI's rendering engines.
> >
> > As for Windows stuff...anyone?
>
> I just tried Hasklig on Windows.  It seems that ligatures partly works on
> Windows.

I'm also playing around Hasklig on MacVim today.  It appears the ligature
support is not completed yet.

But this is my Day 1 of ligature experience, my setting may be wrong.  I'd
like to hear the voices from MacVim guys about that.

> After Vim 7.4.393, gvim.exe can use two types of rendering engine, the
> traditional GDI engine and newer DirectWrite engine.  GDI doesn't seem to
> support ligatures at all, but DirectWrite supports ligature.  However, when
> you put the cursor on a ligature, it is shown as separate characters.  If
> you
> want to show the ligature again, you need to type <Ctrl-L>.

Hmm, it looks leaving everything to rendering engines is not a good
solution to rendering programming ligatures...  Perhaps, Vim itself needs
to know byte sequences which constitute those ligatures and instruct the
rendering engine about them explicitly...

> Screenshot attached.  (I haven't try PragmataPro.)

I don't either for an obvious reason..Isn't there a free version? :)

> Regards,
> Ken Takata

Best regards,
Kazunobu