On Saturday, 13 August 2016 22:27:33 UTC+2, manuelschi...@googlemail.com  wrote:
> On Saturday, 13 August 2016 19:55:23 UTC+2, manuelschi...@googlemail.com
> wrote:

> > > As far as I know there's no free version. The cheapest is the
> > > "PragmataPro Essential" version for 19 Euro plus tax [1]. :-/
> > >
> > > Maybe it would make sense to ask [2] the author for a reduced
> > > subset to try things out. If I remember correctly, someone in
> > > the forum section (at [1]) suggested having such a "test version"
> > > and the font author seemed open to the idea. If you want, I can
> > > contact the author and ask.
> > >
> > > [1] http://www.fsd.it/shop/fonts/pragmatapro/
> > > (There's no dedicated page for the Essential version, but it's
> > > selectable from the "Weights" list.)
> > >
> > > [2] http://www.fsd.it/contact-me/
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Stefan
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > okay, good to know that Mac and Windows already have at least partial
> > support for ligatures.
> >
> > In the meantime, I've amended the patch that enables "poor man's ligatures"
> > on GTK2/3. Now, the user can select for which ASCII characters < 128 the
> > glyph cache should be bypassed (thus enabling ligatures). This is done by
> > checking a global vim variable, g:gtk_nocache. If unset, not a list, empty,
> > the wrong length, or set to [0, 0, 0, 0], the default behaviour is
> > retained. For those who want to see ligatures in most cases, I recommend to
> > set it to [0x00000000, 0xfc00ffff, 0xf8000001, 0x78000001], which will
> > bypass the glyph cache for everything but control characters, space,
> > [0-9A-Za-z] and ASCII code 127 (it's a simple bitmap with bits set if the
> > cache is to be bypassed). You can find the patch on the glyphs branch in my
> > github repository
> > (https://github.com/manuelschiller/vim/commit/d45b7745bd8118748b234e10d8fb9bb80053fa52).
> >  It does not solve any of the redrawing/cursor movement related issues that
> > were discussed earlier, but it will at least give users a choice if they
> > want their favourite font glitch-free without ligatures, or with ligatures
> > (and still the occasional ^L).
> >
> > Feel free to give it a try, or let me know what's bad and good about it. In
> > any case, I'm looking forward to feedback.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Manuel
>
> Hi,
>
> here's another observation which I hadn't made before consciously: With the
> gtk3 version of the GUI, the artifacts with ligatures are virtually gone:
> While typing, ligatures like "<=" compose themselves while typing, and the
> artifact of "decomposing" the ligature when moving the cursor that I
> described earlier (and with the gtk2 backend) is virtually gone. In the
> latter case, you can see a very weak "echo" of the "unligatured" character
> under the cursor that was used to compose the ligature, but that goes away
> without a trace when you move the cursor away, and over normal text. It's
> [...]

Hi,

since Bram kindly included a fix that will make the ASCII glyph cache usable
with fonts with ligatures, I revised my patch that enables said ligatures to
the extent possible with current code to work with Bram's patches. For those
that do not want to wait until vim officially supports ligatures (if it ever
will - but I remain optimist ;), the patch will be maintained here:

https://github.com/manuelschiller/vim/commits/glyphs

The commit message
(https://github.com/manuelschiller/vim/commit/7a25336eed7b2082c016db36f80b2bb9345a4e3f)
 contains hints on how to fine-tune for which ASCII characters the glyph cache
will be bypassed, so you have at least some vimrc-level control over which
ligatures you want to see.
I'd recommend the GTK3 GUI backend over the GTK2 one for this patch, since the
number of times you want to press ^L is vastly reduced.

I'll try to keep pace with vim development in the sense that I'll update the
patch as needed, and as time permits (feel free to send a reminder if things do
no longer apply cleanly!).

Comments, suggestions, and patches to improve things continue to be most
welcome.

Cheers,

Manuel