On Saturday, 13 August 2016 19:55:23 UTC+2, manuelschi...@googlemail.com  wrote:

> > > I don't either for an obvious reason..Isn't there a free version? :)
> >
> > As far as I know there's no free version. The cheapest is the
> > "PragmataPro Essential" version for 19 Euro plus tax [1]. :-/
> >
> > Maybe it would make sense to ask [2] the author for a reduced
> > subset to try things out. If I remember correctly, someone in
> > the forum section (at [1]) suggested having such a "test version"
> > and the font author seemed open to the idea. If you want, I can
> > contact the author and ask.
> >
> > [1] http://www.fsd.it/shop/fonts/pragmatapro/
> > (There's no dedicated page for the Essential version, but it's
> > selectable from the "Weights" list.)
> >
> > [2] http://www.fsd.it/contact-me/
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Stefan
>
> Hi,
>
> okay, good to know that Mac and Windows already have at least partial support
> for ligatures.
>
> In the meantime, I've amended the patch that enables "poor man's ligatures"
> on GTK2/3. Now, the user can select for which ASCII characters < 128 the
> glyph cache should be bypassed (thus enabling ligatures). This is done by
> checking a global vim variable, g:gtk_nocache. If unset, not a list, empty,
> the wrong length, or set to [0, 0, 0, 0], the default behaviour is retained.
> For those who want to see ligatures in most cases, I recommend to set it to
> [0x00000000, 0xfc00ffff, 0xf8000001, 0x78000001], which will bypass the glyph
> cache for everything but control characters, space, [0-9A-Za-z] and ASCII
> code 127 (it's a simple bitmap with bits set if the cache is to be bypassed).
> You can find the patch on the glyphs branch in my github repository
> (https://github.com/manuelschiller/vim/commit/d45b7745bd8118748b234e10d8fb9bb80053fa52).
>  It does not solve any of the redrawing/cursor movement related issues that
> were discussed earlier, but it will at least give users a choice if they want
> their favourite font glitch-free without ligatures, or with ligatures (and
> still the occasional ^L).
>
> Feel free to give it a try, or let me know what's bad and good about it. In
> any case, I'm looking forward to feedback.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Manuel

Hi,

here's another observation which I hadn't made before consciously: With the
gtk3 version of the GUI, the artifacts with ligatures are virtually gone: While
typing, ligatures like "<=" compose themselves while typing, and the artifact
of "decomposing" the ligature when moving the cursor that I described earlier
(and with the gtk2 backend) is virtually gone. In the latter case, you can see
a very weak "echo" of the "unligatured" character under the cursor that was
used to compose the ligature, but that goes away without a trace when you move
the cursor away, and over normal text. It's also absent when the cursor has
"blinked off". For example, when you move the cursor over the "<=" combination
with PragmataPro, you'll see the "<=" ligature very clearly. But when the
cursor blinks to on, it'll also show a single "<" or "=" overlaid with the
original screen contents which disappears without the trace when the cursor
blinks off again, or is moved away.

Bottom line: it seems that with the gtk3 backend for the GUI, you'll have an
almost glitch-free experience with programming fonts with ligatures like
Hasklig or PragmataPro. You'll still need the patches I pointed to in my
previous e-mail, though.

Cheers,

Manuel