Nothing wrong with the aesthetics of a nice, TextMate-like Cocoa
project drawer.

But isn't the idea of going back to having to use the mouse to
navigate a project tree a huge step back for an advanced text editing
environment such as (Mac)Vi(m)? It is obvious that the strictly text-
based interface of Vim sacrifices a lot of the visual appeal of a GUI,
but it does that precisely in order to boost productivity and
efficiency.

For me, the major benefit of using MacVim over Vim in a terminal is
its integration with the Cocoa text system (fonts!), and other native
OS X apps. (Oh, and let us not forget the full screen mode. WriteRoom,
SchwriteRoom...) Otherwise, I tend to hide the toolbar and scroll-
bars, and keep all other distractions at a minimum.

OTOH, the debate about power-user, advanced text editors such as Vi(m)
and *Emacs vs. the latest GUI improvements (whether we're talking '95
or '05 or '09) has been running for quite a few years, both in the
Open and proprietary source code communities. And I think there is a
good reason why these programs tend to eschew the latest GUI features
in favour of their own productivity boosters.

Finally, and despite its cool project drawer, bear in mind that
TextMate itself was also designed rather differently from most common
OS X apps (no toolbar, for instance, and keyboard accelerators for
everything (snippets, etc.) except, *sigh*, the project drawer). Also,
the TextMate interface is meant to be radically re-designed in the
expected 2.x version, although only time will tell how it will
develop.

Just my view on the matter.

Best,

Kamen