Thanks to all who replied to this thread. It's good to know that others
use vim much as I do. Some useful suggestions have come up. I already
use (g)vim as my default editor for mutt but I'll look into LatexSuite and
txtfmt.

A principal grouse of people who prefer other editors is that vim is
modal. This doesn't actually bother me, perhaps because before I was
using linux I was on DOS (didn't like Windows even then), and there I
used a word processor called Protext, which was modal. Vim felt quite
familiar to me in that respect when I came to it after a brief
flirtation with emacs.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - a...@acampbell.org.uk