Ben Fritz wrote:
Maybe on certain Linux distributions which keep their Vim a
year or more out of date this idea makes sense, but I still
think even "serious" users can work for years without ever touching the C code.

I think I qualify as one of those "serious users" :) I run Debian stable, which tends to be pretty antiquated (and provide cause for Tony to give me a little friendly grief/chiding/goading for running such old versions ;-) It was a big deal for me when a dist-upgrade moved me from 6.x to 7.x, and I still have some old machines that get nothing but security updates with 6.x on them. I've never done anything more compiling/C-related than read Tony's excellent build-instructions.

-tim