On Feb 1, 9:01 am, Tim Chase <v...@tim.thechases.com> wrote:
> It was a big deal for me when
> a dist-upgrade moved me from 6.x to 7.x, and I still have some
> old machines that get nothing but security updates with 6.x on
> them.

This actually points out something I've realized quite recently. As
annoying as Bram's insistence on not breaking backward compatibility
can get sometimes (especially when the old behavior is arguably
broken), it is VERY nice to be able to just jump into an old version
of Vim and know exactly what you're doing. I've found that other GUI-
based editors change their interface or keyboard shortcuts drastically
from time to time, making efficient work in an old version very
difficult.

At work, I use versions of Vim from 6.0.something up to the latest 7.2
release depending on what station/terminal I'm logged into, and can
share my .vimrc between all of them (with careful coding with "has"
and "exists" conditionals to prevent errors on the really old
versions), which is a WONDERFUL feature that I don't think I've seen
in any other editor (though admittedly, I've never used Emacs
seriously, it could well have this level of backwards compatibility as
well).