On 20.07.2010 12:25, Pablo Giménez wrote:
2010/7/20 Adam Duck<adam.ian.d...@gmail.com>:
On 20.07.2010 02:16, Pablo Giménez wrote:
2010/7/19 Brett Stahlman<brettstahl...@comcast.net>:

On Jul 19, 6:49 am, Pablo Giménez<pablog...@gmail.com>    wrote:

Hi.
I am using the TagList plugin and I have seen that TagList use
different tags than VIM, I mean vim can see the tags in the tag files
included in the tags option.
So I have some tag files with tags for system libraries and then I
keep project's tags under TagList control. If I<C-]>    to jump to a
definition from my proiject it doesnt appear in the options, because
it doesn't exists in my tags files set by the tags option.
But it appears in the TagList window. How I can make TagList work with
my existing tag files and also viceversa.

This is precisely the reason I don't often use Taglist, even though I
think it's a very powerful and well-designed plugin. It may be
possible to make Taglist work with pre-built tags files for things
like system header files, but I didn't see anything in its
documentation on strategies for doing so. Admittedly, I didn't spend a
lot of time looking into it, so perhaps I've just overlooked it...

Do you recommend any other plugin to manage tags that works well with
prebuilt tags and dynamic tags?
After looking for a while seems taglist is the most powrful.

I still have a question: how do you "keep project's tags under TagList
control"?  TagList works on files and not on projects as far as I know.
Anyways, if there are any tags in TagList but not in vim, than your ctags is
not set up correctly.  Perhaps you need more definitions in your .ctags? Or
you don't regenerate the tags often enough.
When I mean "project" Is just a root directory and all the files under
it. Is a light concept of projects :)
Could you tell how the tags you're searching for look like?
My ctags files dont include the files in the project, just tags from
system libraries, in this case python modules and packages installed
in the system.
I dont't make tags for the files under my project folder because I
leave that task to TagList. But the problem seems that the tags
created by TagList are not in the tags option so this is the reason
because<C-]>  can't reach them.
Now I see. Well, I generate tags for files in my projects with ctags. I don't care what tags TagList uses. Have a look into localvimrc:

This way, you can have all the power of vim with unique settings for each project (even directories within a project). For example I have a .lvimrc in the top-level-dir of a C#-project set up as follows:

---
let b:ProjPath=expand("<sfile>:p:h")                   ".lvimrc
let b:ProjName=split(b:ProjPath, "\\")[-1]
exe "setl tags+=" . b:ProjPath . "/tags"
exe "setl path+=" . b:ProjPath . "/**"

exe "augroup " . b:ProjName
    au!
    au BufEnter *.cs compiler msbuild
au BufWinEnter *.cs :if exists("b:ProjPath") | :exe "lcd " . b:ProjPath | :endif
augroup END

" C# settings
setl suffixesadd+=.cs
---

You could add a "au BufWritePost" or something for generating tags. As you can see I use only one tags file for a project and because `lcd' is always set to the project directotory I can just do a "!ctags -R ." and everything is fine. Also adding "--extra=+f" to your .ctags will generate filenames as tags and jumping to another file is just pressing C-] on a filename.

cu, Adam.