On 08/04/11 10:22, Linda W wrote:
Tony Mechelynck wrote:
Maybe because Chrome doesn't act like most other browsers? When
SeaMonkey doesn't find a URL, it will try www. before and/or .com
after; this behaviour is configurable but this is the default. Firefox
does the same and so does Konqueror. I think IE does too but I could
be mistaken; Opera doesn't.

Best regards,
Tony.
----

Um....I've seen this error 'forever', and I only run Firefox.

Perhaps you should add another non-working browser to your list...?

To make it work, there may or may not be something in Firefox's "Preferences" (or, on Windows, "Options") but you can make it work in any case as follows:

1. Browse to about:config
2. If you see a warning "This could void your warranty", answer that you'll be prudent, and proceed.
3. type "fixup" (without the quotes) in the Filter box.
4. Set the following preferences (e.g. by double-clicking them):

Name                             New value
browser.fixup.alternate.enabled  true
browser.fixup.alternate.prefix   www.
browser.fixup.alternate.suffix   .com

I'm not sure whether these preferences take effect immediately, only in new tabs, in new windows, or only after a restart.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it."
                -- Steven Wright