Tony Mechelynck wrote:
To make it work, there may or may not be something in Firefox's "Preferences" (or, on Windows, "Options") but you can make it work in any case as follows:
... instructions follow...
---

I wish there was a way to post a screen shot.

I typed in 'about:config', and typed in 'browser.fixup',

The options I have:
browser.fixup.alternate.enabled, status=default, type=boolean, value=true
browser.fixup.alternate.prefix, status=default, type=boolean, value=true
browser.fixup.alternate.suffix, status=default, type=boolean, value=true
browser.fixup.alternate.hide_user_pass, status=default, type=boolean, value=true

From the above, I have those options enabled.

But it doesn't work.

That's why it stands out from other sites.

I notice a query for 'vim.org' via 'dig' doesn't return immediately
with a "not found" from my local name server as happens when a name
doesn't exist, but instead, I get a response back from a server in
the netherlands that it has a null address.

Then there's the fact that www.vim.org is served by another DNS server
so the browser may notice the different authorities and assume that
since they are not the same, then vim.org shouldn't be auto-prefixed to
.www, since they aren't under the same administrative control.

But that's just a guess.

Any domain where the site is named after the company, product or
a project -- the 'www', is optional because it's not part
of the company, product or project name

"www" was useful at the dawning of the 'web' when
domains and servers commonly didn't support the web: the 'www'
prefix was a 'flag' that the company provided a web page.

Now, it's the very uncommon exception -- if a company has any
internet presence, at all, it will have a web page when you
type in the company name (with no 'www').

But besides, that, it seems that 'vim's DNS setup breaks normal
browser roll-over mechanisms, which makes it stick out like a sore thumb. :-(