On Apr 14, 2011, at 11:57 AM, Steve Litt wrote:

> Look at VimOutliner (http://www.troubleshooters.com/projects/alt-vimoutliner-
> litt/). It has levelled headings and wrapping body text right out of the box.
> All the Vim commands you learn in this thread are equally useful in
> VimOutliner, but you won't need to keep changing your settings every time
> because VimOutliner comes out of the box optimally configured for text
> document writing.

Thanks, Steve. Actually discover Vim through VimOutliner. I was looking for
something to replace my old DOS outliner, MaxThank, and came across
VimOutliner. I passed it by [1] because it was Vim-dependent, and I wasn't
interested in taking on Vim at that point, and [2] because it appeared not have
the features of MaxThink that I'd found so powerful.

Now I'm interested. There is literally nothing with MaxThink's power. In my
opinion, outline developers should find out what MaxThink can do, and not limit
themselves to providing for the things they assume an outliner can/should do.
When they do the latter the result is always limited in comparison to MaxThink.
[For another rave about MaxThink see http://www.eatonhand.com/maxthink.htm ]

That said, now that I'm learning Vim I'm very interested in giving VimOutliner
a try. Would you recommend that I wait till I get a little more comfortable
working with bare Vim, or give it a try now? Also, what's involved in getting
it up and running in Vim?

Prior to hearing from you I was a bit concerned about VimOutliner. The most
recent posts on the website [
http://www.vimoutliner.org/postnuke-phoenix-0.7.2.3/html/ ] are from 2007 and
the links mostly lead to empty pages. Is it still being maintained/developed?
Is there a better site for it than this one?

Thanks,
Eric Weir
Decatur, GA  USA
eew...@bellsouth.net