On Apr 14, 7:55 am, Eric Weir <eew...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> I'm finding h, j, k, l; e, b; $, 0; and H, M, L a bit limited as ways to move
> around the screen. Is there a way to move up or down from what is displayed
> as one line on the screen when "linebreak" is set to another, i.e., within
> what Vim actually considers a line, i.e., text between two <CR>s?

You've already gotten suggestions for mapping gj/gk, but there's also
g^ and g$ to go to the start/end of "screen lines" (as opposed to
lines delimited with hard line-breaks). Also gm and g0. See the :help
entry for each. Somebody mentioned f, F, t, and T; I want to reiterate
how useful they are. Also useful are ';' and ',' which repeat or
reverse the last f or F command (also t and T but you need to give
them a count to keep moving in the same direction).

> Finally, can I specify a default font? If so, how do I determine what fonts
> are available?

Apparently there's menus to use, but on many systems you can also do
it from the Vim command-line with:

:set guifont=*

After you find a font you can set it permanently in your .gvimrc as
others have suggested. The best way I've found to do this is, while
editing your .gvimrc, with the desired font set, enter in insert mode:

let guifont=

then still in insert mode, type CTRL-R followed by = to bring up the
"expression register". Finish by entering &guifont in the prompt and
pressing Enter. This should insert the current value of the option
into your buffer. This takes advantage of a few things:

1. You can access Vim option values in expressions/scripts using &
followed by the option name. I'm not sure of the help reference on
this, the closest I can come is :help :let-&
2. Inserting the contents of a register, :help i_CTRL-R
3. Specifically, the expression register, :help @= (see :help
registers as well for more that are available)