On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Caleb Cupples
<calebcupplessocial...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Listers,
>
> I have an SE/30 that I've recently upgraded the hard drive in, and
> installed 7.5.5 on, but I keep getting a "bus error" at boot, whenever
> I don't boot with the extensions off. Does anyone have any
> suggestions, because I've been wanting to get it online with the
> Asante ethernet card that's in it.

Have you checked the Extensions folder to see if there are any
extensions that your system doesn't need? If there are, try removing
them in safe mode and then see if your mac will again boot normally.
It is also possible that the system install has become corrupted or
there is a issue with the new hard drive, did you try booting from a
floppy disk or a external hard drive? If that succeeded you may want
to try replicating the extension setup of the properly booting install
and try again. If still no luck you may want to try formatting the
hard drive again and then copying the properly booting system install
to the hard drive. If still no luck you can try swapping the hard
drive and copying over the properly booting system again. If still no
luck once again, try replacing the hard drive cable. If even that
still changes nothing I'd try testing the RAM sticks one at a time in
each slot. If none of that does anything, then you may have fallen
victim to one or more busted capacitors on your logicboard that has
resulted in critical components being corroded. In this case hopefully
washing the board and replacing the affected capacitors will be enough
to resolve the issue, although if it has gotten too serious you may
have to get a replacement logicboard from somewhere like lemswap or
eBay. Good luck!

--
Best Regards,

John Musbach