At 02:05 -0600 2/2/10, Caleb Cupples wrote:
>> I'm leaning more and more toward thinking it's a hardware problem, not
>> software.. I think my NeXTStep (the pun was waiting) is to pull the
>> logic board and look over it very closely, since I just glanced over
>> it when I pulled the PRAM battery. Any particular things I should be
>> looking for?
>
>Update: I pulled it apart, and after blowing the dust away, it's clear
>that at least one capacitor has let loose. However, I don't think the
>damage is /that/ bad, yet, so I'm going to be washing the board and
>seeing what happens. Hopefully, all I'll have to do is wash the board
>and replace a couple of capacitors.

Before you wash, have a close look at the board for shiny areas around blue
cylindrical capacitors that may have leaked acid. Washing the acid off helps
but getting rid of the leaky cap is better.

Look also, with some magnification, for cracked solder joints especially where
larger pins go through the board. I personally think there is a problem with
reflow soldering equipment that sets its temperature for the surface mount
chips and doesn't get the big wires hot enough. But the classics do acquire
loose connections that way. A bad solder joint on the SCSI connector associated
with bit 0 of the address would produce one of your problems.

And watch out for OS neXt. I still think that's where the X came from.
Programming names for the class library calls all start with NS.

--
-> The US of A is getting pelloreid <-