On Jun 26, 11:33 am, Britt Dodd <brittman...@gmail.com> wrote:
> They all go bad after a long lifetime. The plaugue happened when I was
> working at a computer repair shop. I went from seeing very few problems
> caused by capacitors to resoldering caps and replacing motherboards almost
> daily. The formula messup might have been bad for consumers, but it
> certainly was good for repair shops. Anything recent from around 04-07 would
> have this specific problem, but yeah overall after 10-15 years capacitors
> are just done.

All kinds of devices exhibit these problems.  As Britt wrote, the caps
have a limited lifetime.  This is also true of the tantalum caps that
make good replacements.   While the tantalums eventually wear out
also, they have a longer lifespan, and they don't leak corrosive goo
when they die.

I've also repaired three different VCRs which started behaving
erratically by replacing the caps in the power supply unit.  There's
an outfit on the web that sells rebuild kits for the power supplies.
One day the VCR just stops responding properly to the remote, or
starts responding erratically.  Usually there'll be one or two
instances of unexpected behaviour before it goes completely.

Jeff Walther