On Jun 26, 1:15 pm, "Wesley Furr" <wes...@megley.com> wrote:
> How do you manage to replace those puny little surface-mount jobbies though?
> Through-the-board electrolytics aren't a problem, I've done a number of them
> over the years...

There are two types of surface mount capacitor on the boards.   The
first type are the tiny little "chips" that look a lot like surface
mount resistors.  These are ceramic surface mount capacitors and do
not need to be replaced.  I'm not sure if they have a practical
lifetime limit.

The other ones are the problem, the surface mount electrolytic
capacitors.  They look like tiny silver oil storage tanks.   Little
upright cyclinders.   Apple typically used 47uF 16V caps all over the
place plus a few other either 1 uF 50V, or 10uF <mumble>V.    These
are the ones that need to be replaced.   There are a few boards with
odd values like 22uF.

The easiest way to remove them is to get two soldering pencils and
apply one to each lead on the cap until the solder is fully melted and
the capacitor will lift up without applying any substantial force.
Getting impatient and forcing the cap up leads to lifted pads and torn
traces.

I use a pair of 15 watt soldering pencils from radio shack for this
( < $10 each) but 15 watts is a little underpowered.  It takes a
little longer than optimum to heat the caps enough to remove them.   A
pair of 25 watt or even 40 watt might be better.

After removing them, apply some liquid solder flux (comes in a bottle)
to the old solder and use desoldering braid and a soldering pencil to
clean the remaining solder off of the copper pads.   I find that the
Chemtronics brand of desoldering braid (available at Digi-key) works
the best for me.

After removing the old solder, clean the board.  I use a spray flux
remover, but isopropyl alcohol works fine and even soapy water would
do the trick.   After cleaning, rinse the board with distilled water
and let dry.

To replace the caps, first "tin" one pad with a bit of solder.
Tinning is just the act of melting a little solder onto the pad.
Then place a cap on the pads (one tinned, one not) using a tweezers,
and hold the cap down with a small flat head screwdriver.  Then with
the hand that is not holding the screwdriver, apply the soldering
pencil to the tinned pad until that end of the cap sinks down to the
pad.   Be sure to heat both the pad and the terminal on the cap to
solder melting temperature with the pencil.  Proper heating of both
surfaces is essential to good solder joints.

Remove the soldering pencil.  A few seconds later, remove the
screwdriver.   You now have a cap held down on one side.  Solder the
other side normally.   Repeat until all the caps are replaced.

This really isn't difficult.

The place most folks run into trouble is in trying to remove the old
caps with just one pencil.   They get one side hot, then try to heat
the other side, by which time the first side has cooled, and
eventually, they either lift a cold side, tearing a pad or trace or
bending something that shouldn't be bent, or they get the whole
assembly so hot that again, they lift a pad or trace.

Patience is also key.  Very key.  Essential.

Jeff Walther