On Jul 24, 2011, at 12:15 PM, Jeff Walther wrote:

By the way, see the message above?  See  how the quoted text is
trimmed?  See how there's no sign of the list footer quoted?  See how
the thread of the message flows downward in the order that people
read?

This is how to post a readable message.   Your top posted messages in
which ** YOU FAIL TO TRIM ANY QUOTED TEXT AT ALL** are rude and
inconsiderate to other members of the list.

Maybe you should be blaming the software vendors whose mail clients invite users to post this way by positioning the cursor *above* the quoted reply, a practice started (if I'm not mistaken) by Microsoft and copied by Apple and Google, instead of berating users who had no clue that their software was actively encouraging them to do things considered obnoxious.

I don't like top-posting either, but your response was inappropriate. Flaming people for being ignorant was something you could get away with a couple decades ago before the Eternal September, but we lost the numbers advantage a long time ago and now must resort to gentler methods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

http://xkcd.com/386/

If you really want people to stop top-posting, get Google, Apple, and whoever else to fix their email clients.

Josh