>From: Jake Tesler <jake.tes...@gmail.com>
>
>How can I upgrade the floppy controller?

At one point Apple provided a upgrade kit for the 800k SE which included a 1.4
MB floppy SuperDrive two ROMS (High ROM (342–
0701 and Low ROM (342–0702) and a SWIM chip(344–0062). The logic board is
stenciled with "High ROM, Low ROM and SWIM". These are the three large chips in
the center of the board. The notch at one end of the SWIM chip and each ROM
chip must face toward the RAM SIMMs.

It will most likely be difficult to find this kit today. It maybe easier to
find a SE FDHD motherboard that supports the 1.4 MB floppy and replace the 800k
motherboard. Of course this assume your SE is not already an SE FDHD.

Now the memory gets fuzzy but I think the stock FDHD had the "MacintoshSE FDHD"
marking in the front of the case. --But even if the case markings say
"Macintosh SE" someone may have done the upgrade or swapped the logic board for
a SE FDHD.

If the ROMS  read 342-0352-A and 342-0353-A and the SWIM read 344-0043A you
have the 800k floppy logicboard.

>On Nov 4, 2011, at 3:10 PM, "dale-gmail" <motod...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> hi Jake;
>>
>> one thing , unless you have upgraded the floppy controller on the SE,
>> it only writes/reads 800k floppies, so any floppy you write/make on
>> the floppies are 800k in size..

The poster may have a stock Mac SE FDHD with stock 1.4 MB floppy?? --glen