On Nov 21, 5:54 pm, Dylan Woods <dylwo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you so much for your help, all.
>
> whacking the left side of the screen does cause the floppy disk
> question mark icon to flash on the screen briefly. I've never soldered
> anything in my life, but am willing to give it a shot.

This is almost always pin 1 on the analog board connector for the
cable that connects the analog board to the logic board.  There are
two circuit boards (well, three if you count the one on the back of
the CRT) in the Mac.  The one on the left side mounted vertically is
the analog board..  The one on the bottom of the Mac mounted
horizontally is the logic board.

There is one main cable that connects the two boards.  The connector
for that cable on the analog board is about 1/3 the board height from
the top, near the middle front to back.  Pin one is the pin by
itself.   There's pin 1, then a blank spot on the connector, and then
the rest of the pins.  That lonely pin is the likely culprit.  Remove
the old solder from it.  Apply fresh solder.  Be sure to get the pin
and circuit board hot enough to melt the solder; don't just dribble
melted solder onto a cold joint.  I find that liberally applying
liquid solder flux helps with both the desoldering and the
resoldering.

The analog board is covered by a white piece of card stock held on by
double sided adhesive foam.  You'll have to remove the card stock.
You can purchase 3" strips of the adhesive foam at Radio Shack.  The
one near me was still stocking it a week or two ago.

> I know that I'm going to need a long torx 15 screwdriver. Do I really
> need to discharge the CRT if I leave it off for a week or so?

Absolutely not.  The danger from discharging the CRT is much greater
than the danger of leaving it alone.  The only time, the only single
time I've been shocked by a compact Mac CRT is when I was trying to
discharge the thing. If I'd just left it alone, as I always do now
days, I would have been fine.  Even so, being shocked by the thing is
not dangerous.  You'd have to have a heart condition or something to
actually be harmed by it.  It's not fun.  But it's not going to stop
your heart.

> When it
> comes to soldering, my Dad is going to borrow some soldering equipment
> from one of his friends at work, does the Mac require some special
> kind of soldering or something? Again, I don't really know anything
> about soldering, so I'm trying to be very careful before I possibly
> permanently damage my Mac.

As someone else mentioned, make sure you're using rosin core solder
for electrical work.  Plumbers some times solder joints, but the
solder and rosin they use is not suitable for electrical work.
Typically, you'd get  63/37 tin/lead solder with a rosin core.  There
are a number of solering tutorials available on the web.  You might
start at the sparkfun.com website and spin outward from there.  The
advice an earlier posted gave about getting your work hot enough to
flow the solder and tinning  your tips and such is good advice.  It's
all about heat transfer, and having a liquid (melted solder) on the
soldering tip transfers heat much better than just two spots of hard
metal intersecting.

Jeff Walther