Hi, all,
This may seem like a silly question, but I've never been afraid to ask.

I have a IIci that I believe has a floppy drive that is dying. It hadn't been
started up for over 2 years.
Every disk that I put in it prompts the message "This disk is unreadable by this
Macintosh. Do you want to initialize the disk?"
For the heck of it, I said yes once, but "Initialization failed" resulting in
the disk being ejected.

With my SE, the hard drive only boots after the machine is good and warm and I
restart a few times.
(I know, but it's all backed up and I mostly use it to copy stuff off of 800k
floppies.)

Here's the question:
Might this same kind of approach work for the floppy (re-inserting and ejecting
floppies), or will cleaning it with one of those cleaner kits work, or is it
time for a trip to RE-PC for a used unit, or is there something else I haven't
thought of?
I was planning on installing the drivers for the Radius monitor, the modem, the
Syquest drive, and my cd player, and clearing some space here, but now nothing
will work for installation or emergency start-up.
I don't want to cannibalize the SE for the floppy because I was planning on
passing the IIci onto someone else, and keeping the SE. It's just too darn cute
to give up.

TIA.
Jane