At 21:33 -0400 on 16/09/01, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>"Extremely hard to overclock", perhaps. I did not look into information about
>overclocking it, but you'll note it was someone ELSE'S suggestion to
>overclock it, I just concurred. Difficulty aside, it's possible, if he wants
>to do it, it's worth a shot. Also, an accelerator board can cost about the
>same as a motherboard swap if not less. I've shopped around for all kinds of
>Mac upgrades so I would know. I see you assume I don't, though.

You obviously have no idea what the relative pricing of 575 motherboards
versus most upgrade cards for the LC-class machines is.

>Additionally, I never said a "IIci cache card", I said an accelerator board
>that fits in the LC. I know the IIci cache won't work. I mean, sheesh, it
>says "IICI" right there, not "LC 520".

Uhm...you said Turbo 040...that's a IIci cache card.

>For your information, I have grown a lot more knowledgeable about Macintosh
>hardware since I last spoke with you, and I do not approve of you referring
>to me in my old screen name as a sign of ignorance. I would prefer you call

I'll keep referring to you as BenjiOak until you stop displaying the
ignorance and attitude that last got you booted from this list.

>Back to the topic. Accelerator Cards ARE a worthwhile venture. I've installed
>a Turbo 040 in my IIci, and the speed boost is incredible. Coupled with a

Yeah, but you can get a Q650 mobo for less...

The IIci cache cards are among the ONLY accelerators that are sort of
worthwhile, because they're the only ones that aren't ridiculously
overpriced.  You can usually get them for about $20-30.  Unfortunately,
they only work in the II-series Macs, which means they're useless for any
LC-class Mac as the 520 is.

>they run LINUX and mac emulators). A motherboard upgrade to a LC68040 is not
>going to provide very good performance, and, as someone else suggested,

You haven't actually ever USED a 575, have you?  It kicks a 520 to the curb
and then eats it for breakfast.

>need a PDS one, which is another obstacle in purchasing one. And finding a
>68040 chip at a good speed will be hard enough, and then there's the cost of

No it won't.  $15 max.  And even the LC040 kills an 030 WITH an FPU on math
tasks.  Don't believe me?  Get Speedometer and see for yourself.

>Remember that opinions besides your own are still valid. Note that I speak in

We're not talking about opinions here.  We're talking about facts.  Yours
are wrong.