>In any meaningful analysis, Apple has
> been much more supportive of their older hardware than any other
> software or hardware company. Go try to find information on 18 year old
> PCs on the IBM or Compaq web sites. Where are their freely downloadable
> versions of classic OS software? Dell and Gateway didn't even exist in
> 1984.

Well, the answer to that is simple.  The hardware isn't worth the effort.
Most of the hardware in PCs doesn't hold up that long (with the exception of
IBM, who turn out nice stuff.)  It is possible to find some stuff, like Dr.
DOS & Desqview X.  You certainly won't find any Windows products available.
I think you find more folks in the PC world who piece together their
computer from parts, than you do in the Apple universe.

I'm also sure that the progression of Apple OSs makes perfect sense, if you
were there from the beginning and saw each version as it came out.  It's a
lot more confusing trying to pick it up.    I didn't expect such a radical
difference between 7.0 and 7.1 (although I was warned!)