----------
>From: Teri Pittman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Vintage Macs)
>Subject: It's not hardware....
>Date: Mon, May 6, 2002, 5:45 AM
>

> I have a quick question and don't want to drag the list too far off topic.
>
> It seems that Apple has had at least three instances where they've
> developed a new operating system that simply won't work on their older
> hardware.  7.1 seems to be the first, followed by PPC only (8.2?), followed
> by OS X.  That's only happened once in the Windoze world that I know of
> (Win95).  Am I right about this?  Is this one of the things that has
> affected sales?
>
> Thanks!
> Teri Pittman
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Truthfully, Windows has done it several times, if you count certain versions
of DOS. Twice, if you count the newest version of just Windows, "XP".

Try running an 80286 with Windows 3.1? Or 95? While do-able with the former
it's crippled by the CPU. With the latter, it WON'T happen.

You CAN run a Mac SE on anything from System 5 to 7.5.5. THAT'S flexibility
far and away beyond anything Gates and his crew had done with machines and
operating systems. Those O.Ses span some 8 or so years of product
development.

I'd call Mac WAAYY more dedicated and concerned for it's users than Windows
EVER was. OR WILL BE....

Jeff