--- Teri Pittman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What prompted all this, is that one of my favorite
> Palm software companies
> came out with a desktop version that runs on OS X.
> Plans are to finish the
> Windows desktop next, then support OS 9 in the Mac
> world (maybe).  It seems
> to be hurting sales.  I'm wondering if they would
> have been better off
> supporting OS 9 and OS X at a later date.  Which
> lead to the deep thoughts
> about which company did a better job at supporting
> legacy machines.

The x86 CPUs seem to have added more features with
each generation than did the 68k CPUs, like going
from an 8bit memory bus to 16bit then 32bit. They
added relatively large internal caches and FPUs.
To add features to Windows _and_ continue support
(with a limited feature set) for older CPUs would've
made Windows code more complex.

The 68k CPUs started life at mostly 32bit then went
full 32bit and didn't change much except for
integrating the MMU then finally the FPU and a small
internal cache in the 040.

The two lines started from different places and ended
up in pretty much the same spot with the 040 and 486.
If the 68k CPU line had changed as radically over
the years as the x86 did, then the Mac System and
OS would've had shorter hardware "life support" spans.

After the 040 and 486 they split off in different
directions. Motorola made a few further advances
with the 68k but Apple chose to dive into the pool
with IBM and Motorola on the PowerPC and an aborted
attempt to build a computer that would run Mac OS
and other operating systems. (The CHRP system.)
The x86 world decided to pile on more and more Mhz
and features like MMX, 3D-Now! and a whole host of
others. Apple/IBM/Motorola has brought us a steady
progression in basic performance from the 601 through
the G3 and one major added feature with AltiVec on
the G4. (Which still isn't fully exploited.)

Go here for in-depth looks at various CPU technology
from all the major players.
http://arstechnica.com/cpu/index.html

Just because you CAN run some versions of the Mac
System or Mac OS on a computer 8 or so years older
than the OS version doesn't mean that it's going to
be tolerable to use. :) Windows avoided that by
dropping support for older CPUs with fewer features
and less capabilities. Call it "fostering consumer
loyalty" if you want, but it sure didn't help drive
sales of new Macs to not "fix" each new major
System version to drop the previous CPU generation.

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"