On Tuesday, May 7, 2002, at 12:18  PM, Eagle wrote:

The 68k CPUs started life at mostly 32bit then went
>> full 32bit and didn't change much except for
>> integrating the MMU then finally the FPU and a small
>> internal cache in the 040.
>
> That's a pretty good explanation of why I took 68k assembler in college
> and have forever avoided x86 assembler -- won't even touch it with a
> 10-foot-pole.
>
> 68k assembler just made sense to me.  x86 -- "not so much."

Curiously, when I did Systems Architecture, we were introduced to 68k's
and x86's, we were told how well designed the 68k's were comparatively,
and how much more -real world- the 68k's were to code on in assembler
compared to all other cpu's at the time.

Then, for some reason, the rest of the course concentrated on working
around the problems in x86's. *shrug*

dana
--
unnaturally hosted on a Q605,