--- Jason Trunzo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why is the screen amber?  The box it came in (if you
> look at the ebay
> photo) is showing a normal grayscale screen.  Was
> this a typical
> thing for Apple to do...anybody know for a fact that
> this machine isn't just blinky?

Monochrome CRTs only have one color phosphor coating
on the inside of the tube. No shadow mask either.

Different phosphors give off different colors of
light when hit by high energy electrons in a CRT.
Could be that some company or government specified
that computers they purchased had to have amber
color monitors so Apple obliged. (Though I bet they
aren't pleasant to use.)

I've seen several pics of early 128K Macs where the
screen has a very blue tint, then later ones are
pure white and black.

=====
http://www.junkscience.com "All the Junk that's fit to Debunk!"