david wrote:

--- Darren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Maybe just fix the pc's once and you wont have so
much trouble. ;)

See my reply to Gregg regarding why I'm tired of fixing the PC, maybe I should just buy a $500 Dell

Hmmm, you can hardly blame the computer itself for bad components such as monitors or hard drives as these things fail in all computers at some time or another. A decent hard drive will possibly be returnable, I only use seagate or fijitsu,as for monitors well, its buyer beware. $42us for a 17" crt down here, no biggy really.

At a guess someone has tried to configure a modem and messed with the port settings making a mess of the mouse, again not something that you should blame the computer as a whole. Naturally this makes a good argument for the use of macs for people mystified about such easy mistakes or usb mice.

Please don't use Dell, if your up for it, spend some time doing a little research and build a system with known parts. A perfect world would be one where new mac mobos and pc are stocked on the same shelf at your local pc shop, but its not a perfect world yet. Dell isn't big down here though its would seem to be so everywhere else, so sad.

What is the latest version of Internet Explorer
that will work with 7.6.1? And where can I get it?

The fat installer is about 2.7mb and another 700k
for the 128bit upgrade, needed or internet banking and so forth.

Insert gamba's browser page link here > 12.7mb opps

She doesn't surf the net or do anything online except
email.

Remember she was born almost before radio muchles
computers. She has never even had a typing class. I'm
proud of the fact that she can do email

Firstly, very little would be gained dropping back from 7.6 to 7.5.x. Both IE and NS work well under 7.1.x, ignore the warnings NS's deal with apple pop up.
If your happy the way 7.6.1 works then leave it unless you have the media to reinstall it. Find more memory instead, makes any os "feel" better.

The appearance extension also works on 7.1.x while the extension and CP work under OS versions above that. Thought I'd sneak that in, v1.1.4 I think thou I'm not sure where it came from.

Secondly, there is a IE4.01 to fix the bugs in 4.0, best to only download one of them if your on dialup.

Thurdly, in its day NS 3.04 gold including java was the ants pants. That day has past a long time ago to the point that to use it for general use you must turn off the outdated java and javascript. Possibly the reason java was left out of NS4.0x, lack of raw crunching power or a problem with 68k machines, I don t know.
IE4 crashes or freezes no more than any other 68k browser on certain sites but displays a greater majority. The default is to display a completed page and then dump it complete on the screen, this can give the impression of "freezing" which I found annoying and can be changed, as can NS redrawing of the browser windows contents when the window is resized or moved, a resedit hack is required.
http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/WWW/netscapebug/hack.html
I'm not overlooking icab or the others, I dont use them so can't comment.

Gamba's link was posted twice because, as I've said, these programs are getting hard to find, good luck searching M$ website or google for that matter for the 128bit patch or a 68k/fat installer.
The small 128bit patch has more uses than internet banking, if the browser is to be installed, apply the patch regardless of what the machine is good for.

Speed is relative to the user, what I consider slow need not be the same feeling to a 90 year old with limit comp experience. 20mhz isn't great on a 28k modem still given a cable connection even a classic can exhibit a little speed to me and that runs os7 on far less than 20mhz. ;)

If its only task will be email install Eudora or Claris email, ect as Gregg suggests.

My Gran is 92 and has mastered email on a LCIII. I hope to build from there to a system that will do music and photos/movies as our family is spread through out the world. Especially for this task a mac is first choice, with space/cost/use in mind a cheap imac would fit the bill perfectly while my 66yo father's war sim addiction will only be sated by a pc, no there is not the depth in consoles yet, poor substitute that they are. My mother loves her "incredi mail", card makers, receipe programs and such, in general they only break it now installing things. :) It's been a long road for them and they still know nothing but they are better at it. ;)

Cheers, all the best with whatever you decide, just not the Dell.