----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Garrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Vintage Macs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2004 8:15 PM
Subject: Re: video card in IIsi

> On 2004.05.09 18:21 Nat wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I just checked on the Quadra 800 and there are no control panels
> > or
> > system extensions whatsoever for the Radius video card on the startup
> > disk
> > (or any other disk, for that matter).
> >
> > One of the first things I did was check the Monitors control panel on
> > the
> > Mac IIsi, and it does *NOT* list the two video cards as monitors 1 and
> > 2.
> > IT only lists monitor 1-- the internal video.
> >
> > Since I am installing this onto a Macintosh IIsi, there *IS* only one
> > expansion slot so I'm not sure how I can "move" it to a seperate slot,
> > unless we are talking about logical "slots" and not physical slots.
> >
> > -Nat
> >

> Sorry, I keep seeing IIsi as IIci. That thng come with an angle adapter?
>
> And again, make sure there are no bent pins in the connector or Angle
> adapter.

No problem.  Actually, your suggestions got me thinking and I went
tinkering.

I found out there was a bent pin not on the video card, but on the PDS to
NuBus "angle adapter" card.  I was surprised to find this.  The pin was one
of the end pins, and was bent completely the other direction into a little
groove pointing the other way.  I tried bending it back carefully, using a
thin pocket knife.  Unfortunately, as I feared, bending back was too much to
ask of the poor little pin and it snapped completely off.

But I didn't give up here.

I got to thinking that I could still get it to work.  So I straightened out
the piece that broke off, and put it into it's proper hole on the female PDS
slot on the IIsi logic board.  I hoped there would be enough sticking out
that it would make contact with the stub of a pin left on the angle adapter.
I reattached the angle adapter with the Radius card, and secured both using
the screws.

Sure enough, the bent pin turned out to be the problem.  Not only did the
pin make contact the way I had hoped, but the computer booted right up, and
now displays perfectly through the Radius card.  I jiggled it around a bit
to see if I was going to have problems with intermittent contact, but it
seems very stable.

And just to comment on the message regarding the IIsi power supply...  My
IIsi now has an internal 1 gigabyte hard disk and also the Radius
PrecisionColor 24-bit XP video card and runs just like it did with the stock
parts.  Perhaps I just got lucky with the hardware that I have. :)

My only other wish is to add Ethernet support on top of all of this.  Now
since the IIsi only has one expansion slot, this would be tricky.  But I
seem to remember reading that it *is* possible to do a sort of "piggy-back"
type deal and actually add another expansion card to my existing hardware.
And no, I don't want to swap the IIsi logic board for something else.
Anyone have experience doing something along these lines?

Thanks,
  Nat