I found a external SCSI drive, 40MB at a thrift shop that runs.
Could this work instead, or do i need the internal one install first?

Eric
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Benson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Vintage Macs" <vintage.macs@mail.maclaunch.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 7:52 AM
Subject: Re: newbie

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Hello
> >I am new to your world of older MAC's.
> >My daughter recieved a LCIII from her grandmother who is a teacher.
> >Her school upgraded to wintel machines and parted ways with thier MAC's.
> >This particular machine is in need of a hard drive replacement though,
and I
> >am at a loss on which drives would work.
> >Any ideas?
>
> Any 50-pin Narrow SCSI hard drive will drop straight in. SCSI sometimes
requires a bit of Voodoo trickery to get working, but as long as the ID is
not set to '7' (usually they are set to '0' on single drive Macs) and the
drive is terminated (usually a jumper or a pair of resistor packs) then it
will work OK provided the drive itself is working.

> The LCIII is a fairly robust machine generally speaking, if not the
fastest on the planet. I would recommend you try and acquire a copy of
System 7.1 on floppy disk as well as appropriate age copies of Claris Works
(1.0 to 3.0 should run fine) or similar and it'll do great as a typewriter.