The school district in my neck of the woods...

Yeah, I've always wondered how much good equipment gets thrown away by
schools, or given to recycling centers by individual users. I'm sure
that there are people who even recyle their "old" 3 GHz computer when
they buy a new 3.2GHz one.

I've made a couple of salvages from schools and individuals, you just
have to know who to contact, where to look, and what questions to ask.

...is getting rid of all their Macs. I picked up quite a few Molars last year, not to mention 5xx0 AIOs. (Need any 5260 boards?)

I have free 5x0s for anyone who wants to pick them up in Southwest Washington.

I've been able to pick computers up at auction. The school gets rid of them cheap. And around here, there's only a limited Mac crowd, and they are giving away their oldies, buying new stuff. So every year until the Mac supply is gone I'll have new Old Macs. I don't have much competition, except for those LEMlisters here whom I remember to invite to the auctions (last year the auction was allegedly in the paper, but I never saw it, and didn't know its exact time or date until a few hours before the event).

Last year the school threw away a color laserprinter that was in perfect shape - until it was dropped on the floor in the holding room!

Aaaargh. It seems a shame. But progress is often marked by the carcasses at the side of the road we travel down, pell mell. Nicely, it's just old equipment, not the human dead, that our society puts aside so readily in the course of our onward push.