On 26 Apr 2005, at 15:46, Manuel Marques wrote:

I've got an LCIII running Mac OS 7.6.1 and it runs fine! But if you
want reliability, you can download System 7.5.3 from Apple's website
that it will run great! (of course I'm here talking, but my LCIII has
20 megs of RAM)

It's an old and long-played out argument. Some of us prefer 7.1 because it's smaller and much faster. You can add most of 7.5.3 or later features to it without trouble (I have several OS 8.1 extensions running fine under 7.1 on my IIci) if you have both OS's to hand (and as 7.5.3 is free then you should have). 7.1 is in the long run a much more efficient system version, especially with LCIIIs having such a low RAM ceiling, and does lack the ability to run later stuff if you don't mind shuffling extensions.

Admittedly if you are looking for an easy starter then 7.5.3 is free and available. To get the machine running it would be fine.

Simply 7.1 is not the best option, and
7.5.3 has much more, and runs fine on that 8 meg PM! You should then
get a copy of RAM Doubler (I could send you one, if you'd like).

I also tend to avoid RAM Doubler, yeh sure it's a neat idea, but it also drains valuable CPU time copying back and forth from RAM to disk and back, and if you have an original spec 40MB drive then your gonna see still more reduction.

7.5.3 does run 'fine' on 8MB of RAM but 7.1 runs 'fast' on 8MB RAM, and less. I personally stopped running 7.5 on my machines long ago. It's not particularly stable once you start doing real work on them, and what you gain in features are usually mostly superfluous or can be added simply to 7.1 by dropping the later extensions into the System Folder. In addition a lot of software that specifies it requires 7.5 or later is usually lying, you just need to add a few extensions to 7.1 and it works fine. One of my neatest Tricks so far has been to copy the whole AppleShare and Networking structure from OS 8.1 to System 7.1 in order to gain AppleTalk over IP compatibility, works like a charm.

Oh and as a last note you will need System Enabler 003 to run 7.1 on an LCIII. This is also available 'out there' but I wasn't able to put a finger on exactly where. I'd guess Apple still have it on FTP in the same place as System 7.5.3, that's where I got my copy.

--
Mark Benson

AIM - SilValleyPirate
MSN - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Visit FlatPackMacs online: <http://fpm.68kmac.com>

"Introducing Macintosh Classic II - pick one out on your way past the trash!"