On 4/27/05, Mark Benson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I also tend to avoid RAM Doubler, yeh sure it's a neat idea, but it
> also drains valuable CPU time copying back and forth from RAM to disk
> and back, and if you have an original spec 40MB drive then your gonna
> see still more reduction.

Are you getting a bit confused here? Sounds to me like you're muddling
RAMdoubler and virtual memory.

RAMdoubler uses Zip-style compression on the contents of memory; it
doesn't copy stuff to and from disk. Essentially, it compresses the
contents of those bits of memory that belong to programs which aren't
currently executing. It's an /alternative/ to virtual memory, which
moves unused stuff in memory out onto disk.

I use RAMdoubler on my Classic II under MacOS 7.6.1. 761 requires 12MB
of RAM and a Classic II can only take up to 10MB, so without some
assistance, it's not terribly stable and you can't run much. With
RAMdoubler, the machine thinks it has 20MB and is fine - and faster
than when using VM.

--
Liam Proven
Home: http://welcome.to/liamsweb * Blog: http://lproven.livejournal.com