Don't be so pessimistic.

The CPU under the hood is of little importance to most users. I didn't
think that way until I realized I have been using Linux on both x86s and
PPCs and it is completely the same.

MacOS X can run on x86s just fine, as long as they are fast enough.

There will be fat binaries for some time, for PPC software to run on
x86. Since all OS calls are the same, the only emulation that's needed
is for the application code itself.

I think this will work.

And, of course, by 2007, we will have G5 owners coming to this list ;-)