On 6/9/05, J.S. Garrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's like looking at a Bentley and knowing it's really
> a Chrysler. Or seeing a Sterling and realizing it's a
> Honda.

I don't know what a Stirling is, but I think I know what you mean.

> Microsoft kills MacOS.

Might happen.

> Intel kills AMD

Might happen.

> and absorbs
> VIA.

Er. Why?

> Where'd the
> choices go?  eBay and your local classifieds.
>
> Nevermore anything as new and different as the Mac?
> Can't say I'd like living with that.

Oh, something new will come along. There is real innovation and
diversity in cellphones, mostly outside the USA. They are morphing and
merging with PDAs and hand-held games consoles and digital stills
cameras & video cameras and MP3 players and GPS units and who knows
what else to become fascinating little devices. In a few years, I
think they'll make a lot of laptops irrelevant, just as laptops are
currently making desktops irrelevant.

Meanwhile, at the Big Iron end of things, the Itanium is going down
like the (T)Itanic (as The Register calls it). It will suck down a lot
of companies with it - it will destroy SGI and much of HP and others.
Intel will live, it's rich.

Linux will kill proprietary Unix, slowly but surely. Sun, already
dragged down by SPARC, IBM's remnant server division now it's sold off
the PC divison to Lenovo, some other bits of HP and so on.

There'll be another round of acquisition and consolidation. Big names
will disappear.

But new companies will appear and prosper, like saplings in the forest
clearing left by the fall of a giant.

It will be interesting!

--
Liam Proven