--- John Niven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Have you looked at the way the PC motherboard market
> is going? Most
> have onboard ethernet, sound, and RAID interfaces.
> Many have basic
> video, and I think more of that is coming. I built
> PC's for my gaming
> sons that only have one expansion card slot used -
> for the fancy video
> card. More is being integrated on one motherboard so
> I think less expansion slots are needed.

I chose the board in my current PC because it did NOT
have onboard sound, network and other things. It has
the serial and parallel ports, four USB 1.1, floppy,
dual channel ATA66 and an integrated dual channel
ATA100 RAID controller that only supports hard drives.

Why this board (ABIT KG7RAID)? Because it had enough
PCI slots (and no silly AMR or CNR slot!) so I could
install the network card, sound card, USB 2.0 card,
firewire card and SCSI card of MY choosing.

It currently has five IDE hard drives, an IDE CD-RW,
an IDE DVD-+RW and SCSI 640meg MO and SCSI Zip 100
plus a 1.44M floppy drive.

Yup, I'm exactly the type of user Apple has _ignored_
since the first Beige G3 started coming off the
production line. We're the Power User, the "Burger
King, Have it Your Way" user. We want to choose our
own bits and pieces. We love to upgrade this or
that without having to shell out a big chunk of
change for a whole new motherboard, which can be a
gamble on some bit of built in hardware not being
as good as what was on the board being replaced.

Another problem of the everything on board, limited
expansion motherboards is if one built in peripheral
gets toasted, then you're stuck with either replacing
the whole board or able to only substitute one
expansion card for the dead part if the board is
otherwise still functional. I got stuck that way once
and at the time I was short on $$$ so I had to put up
with the thing for a long while until I could buy
my current board. If I'd bought a nothing-on-board
board with lots of slots I could've simply swapped
out the defekt card and had it back to good as new
or better.

Another cheap PC marketing tactic I hope Apple doesn't
fall into with the new generation is a low priced
model with a hot CPU that's woefully inadequate in
one or two critical areas. The big PC OEMs love to
sell cheap boxen running XP Home with only 256megs,
or worse, 128megs, onboard video using a chunk of
that small amount of RAM, and/or a hard drive with
an impressive number of Gigabytes but spinning at
only 5,400 RPM. But hey! It has a 2.9Ghz Celeron!
(And no AGP or PCI-X slot to upgrade the crappy
onboard video, and only 2 or 3 PCI slots, one of
which has a 56K software driven modem in.)

Please Apple! Please never build such a box! (Well,
for the bargain user, you can build a 2 or 3 slotter
with everything built in, like the Beige G3, but
it should at least have an AGP or PCI-X slot to
extend its useful life!)

It will be total Fandemonium!
August (Fri) 5th, (Sat) 6th & (Sun) 7th, 2005
http://www.fandemonium.org