Esther,

I thought the comment about most Voiceover users picking up their phone in
landscape mode interesting. I actually have always used mine in portrait mode.
I wonder though if the page has to be oriented correctly, I assume (and this
probably is a pretty silly question) Text Detective already assumes the camera
is oriented in the lower right corner, thus being 90 degrees off from what may
be considered correct orientation? In other words could people have less than
stellar results if the phone were oriented in the portrait  mode? I don't know
if the instructions tell you to put the phone in landscape mode, but would
assume it does. I find this pretty interesting actually.
I do agree the simplicity of Text Detective does make it attractive, but even
as a 1.0 app I would have thought maybe the dev would have accounted for some
features such as using the flash or auto flash and orientation of the document.
I will be watching this app closely to see what comes next. Interestingly, this
app was mentioned in a message that went out to the Section 508 working group
in the agency where I work. The Section 508 working group is an interesting
name since the objective of the group is to deal with accessibility of all IT
and other technologies used in the workplace, although we tend to stray into
other areas. :)
Thanks for sharing the information.

Scott