I don't like the practice, but I don't see how it could be made illegal. Companies have the right to use proprietary components. Companies can also void warranties if approved peripherals aren't used. Apple doesn't have a monopoly on smart phones, and if you want a smart phone that uses an industry standard connector, you have plenty of options.

On 02/12/2015 11:24 AM, Charles Rivard wrote:
Purposefully making either a device that detects differences in a cable,
or making the cables in such a way to prevent the triggering of such a
message would be a money making scheme that should be illegal.

---
Be positive!  When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're
finished, you! really! are! finished!

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Scott Berry <mailto:sb356...@gmail.com>
    *To:* Vi Phone <mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com>
    *Sent:* Thursday, February 12, 2015 11:21 AM
    *Subject:* Re: Update on USB Extension Cable and "This Accessory May
    Not Be Supported" Issue

    I am not saying that it’s a scheme.  It’s what Apple’s in business
    for to make money!

    On Feb 12, 2015, at 10:04 AM, Charles Rivard <wee1s...@fidnet.com
    <mailto:wee1s...@fidnet.com>> wrote:

    I don't think that this is a scheme to make money. There must be
    something different about that particular cable that causes the alert.
    In order to give flexibility and strength to cables, they are made
    of stranded wire, and if only one strand breaks, it can cause
    problems.  This might be what is happening, although this is
    conjecture on my part, based on my past workings with making
    cables using a soldering iron, electronic solder, wire and jacks.

    ---