I'm not sure what you're saying in this message. It is the case that approved Lightning cables have a microchip in them to authenticate that they are Apple approved. This is easy enough to look up on the web with a Google search. The wikipedia page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_%28connector%29 for example says the following:

Official Lightning connectors contain an authentication chip that makes it difficult for third-party manufacturers to produce compatible accessories without being approved by Apple.

I've seen this discussed on this list multiple times. I suspect the only reason it doesn't come up more often is because most people are probably using the cable that came with their Apple device or they're getting an Apple approved cable.

I have no idea how many complaints Apple gets, but I'm sure it's easy for them to turn them away and just let those people know they need an Apple approved cable.

On 02/12/2015 11:22 AM, Charles Rivard wrote:
If that were the case, every cable that did not have this chip in it
would trigger such a message, and there would be hundreds of thousands
of complaints.  On this list, anyway, this has not come up often.

---
Be positive!  When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're
finished, you! really! are! finished!

    ----- Original Message -----
    *From:* Julian <mailto:mrc1...@gmail.com>
    *To:* viphone@googlegroups.com <mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com>
    *Sent:* Thursday, February 12, 2015 11:19 AM
    *Subject:* Re: Update on USB Extension Cable and "This Accessory May
    Not Be Supported" Issue

    Hi Charles,
    You are right, there is a difference between the two cables. The
    Apple product has a little chip inside that lets the phone know that
    this is an approved cable. The non-Apple cable does not, hence the
    triggering of the unwanted announcement.

    Sent from my iPhone

    On Feb 12, 2015, at 9:04 AM, Charles Rivard <wee1s...@fidnet.com