Mark,

I do have the reduced motion setting turned on under accessibility and think I
turned that on when it showed up with iOS 7.

I'm glad I stumbled across the type size solution because it still seems more
than a little illogical to me. I mean, before I changed the type size, turning
off VoiceOver would cause the second clear button to appear after tapping the
first one. But with VoiceOver on, the second clear button doesn't appear on my
iPhone unless the type is no more than 27%. Why having VoiceOver on would
reduce the size of type I could use in order for a confirmation clear button to
appear just doesn't make sense. Ah, computers.

Alan

Sent from my iPhone