All braille displays work similarly with the iPhone. It is the iOS software
which controls everything. The braille display is for viewing and the keyboard
is for typing. Controls are more basic than with a braille note taker.

I would be cautious about getting the HumanWare or vario displays. Connections
can be more problematic do to the nature of the bluetooth driver stacks and
controls in the HumanWare products.

I have an Alva BC640 and a RefreshaBraille. Both work well with my iPhone.

That said, I prefer the Refreshabraille because I can turn it on and off whilst
my iPhone is unlocked and it connects and disconnects without difficulties. My
Alva, on the other hand, requires that I lock my iPhone before I turn the Alva
on. After the display is on, I unlock my iPhone and the Alva automatically
connects. However, when I write in 8 dot computer braille, the Alva is easier
because all 8 dots are in a row (40 cells gives more room for the keyboard). On
the Refreshabraille, dots 7 and 8 are next to the spacebar, so harder to press
dot 7 for capitalisation.

National Braille Press, NBP, in the US has a braille brochure with the computer
braille code. They also use to sell a book training on computer braille. In
computer braille, the letters are the same, numbers are dropped to the lower
part of the 6 dot cell (1 is dot 2, 2 is dots 2 3, 3 is dots 2 5, Etc.), and
there are unique symbols for each punctuation mark. Upper-case letters are the
same as lower-case letters with dot 7 added. I write computer braille at the
same speed that I write contracted braille.

For large files, I find my iPhone 4 does better in 8 dot mode rather than
contracted braille mode. Also, in contracted braille mode, iOS has a half
second buffer. If you stop writing for half a second, whatever is in the buffer
is translated and written to the field. Braille entry works whenever the
keyboard is activated. Also, almost everything VO speaks is simultaneously
displayed in braille. I regularly take notes in braille during meetings with
speech muted.

David Chittenden, MSc, MRCAA
Email: dchitten...@gmail.com
Mobile: +64 21 2288 288