I appreciate all of this information but there is one thing I still don't
understand. I still cannot getVO to read the preview

pane. Someone said flick right or left; that only moves me to the next message.
Holding my finger on the message simply produces the hint about the Action
options. And yes, I have a number of lines specified.

 for Sent from my iPhone