Have to agree here. Having a game cheeper in one country than another just
doesn't make sense. I'm Canadian and have certainly seen prices for apps
rise drastically over the past while. However, there have also been brief
periods where our dollar was higher than the US dollar. Apple is an
American company so it makes sense that prices are based on the US economy.

Honestly, I think we've been somewhat spoiled when it comes to app prices.
Making a living as an appdeveloper isn't easy. Software like OCR or GPS
software which does equivalent things on other platforms has been
stupendously expensive when compare to even the highest app prices. It
doesn't surpriise me that some apps like Ulysses are going to a
subscription model. I love that app and am a happy subscriber understanding
that in order to keep development steady and safe, you need a steady
income. Appps which don't have inapp purchases or subscriptions have to
survive on waves of income based on one-time sales. They have to focus on
features for each new update which might possibly attract new good reviews
and customers rather than develop what they have more systematically.

I'm working on a guide for blind owners of iOS devices. I plan to release
that guide for free, but it's taken me a long time to do it.  I'll have
spent three years on this when it's hopefully ready in March. It's over
140000 words long now and will probably be over 200000 words when it's
done. Unlike most app developers I've heard about, I'm in a situation where
I can afford to spend my time and effort doing this. Most of them really
struggle financially even after they release their apps. It also costs
money to have an app in the app store as well as time and effort to
maintain it after it's out there. Do you realise Apple takes a 30% cut of
all app sales? Because I'm giving my gide away, I don't have those kind of
continued costs to worry about. On the flip side, I don't have any sort of
budget for advertising and distributing it.

I'm on social assistance and absolutely get how hard it can be to afford
some of the more useful apps. However, similar to books, I understand just
enough of what developers have to go through to have some real sympathy for
them. If I had my way, I'd be able to travel to new owners of these devices
and help them get an understanding of how to operate them and the scope of
what's possible with them. However, that would be well beyond what my
finances could stand. Writing the guide and recording the lectures are what
is possible within my circumstances. Developers also have other stresses in
life and hard financial realities to deal with. I think most people who
create things wish they could do more to make them spread and be more
affordable than is usually possible.

Michael Feir
Twitter: mfeir
Skype: michael-feir