Tom,

Let's assume your Dad is John Rasch and you do have him entered under that
name in Contacts, you would activate SIRI and say "John Rasch is my father".
SIRI should come back and ask "Do you want me to remember that John Rasch is
your father? Rely with Yes or No or tap one of the buttons"

You can then press and hold home again and say "Yes" after the SIRI tone or
double tap on Yes.

However, keep in mind that unless you use iCloud to store your contacts this
will not work. If you use gmail, Hotmail or Exchange SIRI will come back
after you confirm and tell you that the addressbook you are using does not
support this feature.

Apple in their typical way of ignoring anything not Apple never did point
this out during any of their Keynotes when they showed off this feature.
Because of this limitation relationships are a useless feature for probably
95% of the world.