Hi Wayne,

Yes, absolutely you can put your iPhone into airplane mode and use it
like an iPod or an iPod touch. Just because you're not using the
internet or cellular features of the phone doesn't mean that any other
functionality (i.e. iBooks, taking pictures, and playing saved
recordings) won't work: it absolutely will. This applies to your
wife's iPhone 4 too. You don't even need to have a SIM card in there
(although every time you reset it to factory defaults, you'll need to
activate it with a compatible SIM card, after which you can take it
out). When you're in airplane mode, all the radios are turned off but
you can enable WIFI and Bluetooth at any time.

Secondly, I have no idea about AT&T's coverage or what they consider
roaming. But yes, absolutely you can choose whether to use WIFI,
cellular data, or neither. In fact, the iPhone won't even try to
connect to a WIFI network unless you explicitly give your permission,
either by selecting a network from a popup that appears (if "ask to
join networks" is set to ON under settings/WIFI) or by going into
settings/wifi and selecting a network manually. Once you establish a
connection to a WIFI network you can head into settings/WIFI and turn
off the wireless radio at any time. On the same page you can navigate
to the name of the cruise ship's network, flick right once and
double-tap on the "more info" option, and choose "forget this network"
to make the phone stop connecting to the network.

Hope that helps,

Grant