I recently returned from a cruise and had no problem using my iPhone or i Pad in airplane mode. As others have indicated you have a few options, via Settings, you can turn cellular data, wifi and Bluetooth on/off as you desire. When in a U.S. port you may (but are not guaranteed) to be able to access your carrier.

One thing to always keep in mind, there are no cell towers at sea, so if you really want access to the internet, your only option is to use services (cellular and/or slow wifi) provided by the ship which can be costly. The cruise lines usually offer wifi packages that save you some, but IMHO they are still costly.

Before I left I loaded books I wanted to read and music I might want to listen to onto my devices. While at sea I had time to relax and catch up on my reading, and learn how to get around some of Voiceovers quirks.

Rollin