As for actually buying a new phone that all depends on what you have now. In
the last few years I usually purchased last year's Pro phone because I find
more and  more that you end up getting a better phone for the same or even less
money. Consider last year's iPhone 14 and the 2021 iPhone 13 Pro. The iPhone 14
last year did not get the A16 processor, only the 14 Pro and Pro Max got the
A16 and again this year only the 15 Pro and Pro Max get the A17 chip. Last
year's iPhone 14 still had the A15 chip which is the same as the iPhone 13 Pro
and this year's iPhone 15 and 15 Plus have the A16 chip, same as what the
iPhone 14 Pro had last year.
I haven't checked in detail if there is a change regarding LiDAR, it used to be
that only Pro phones had the LiDAR sensor so this means if you bought an iPhone
14 or 14 Plus last year you would get a phone with the same chip as an iPhone
13 Pro, but you wouldn't have LiDAR whereas the iPhone 13 Pro has LiDAR which
allows for features like door detection and so on.
We bought our iPhone 13 Pro when during
Cyber Monday last year my carrier, Telus in Canada, offered them for $18 a
month for 2 years with no downpayment and I think the buy-out price after two
years if we wanted to keep the phones is $390. This means I will pay $432 over
two years and then if I buy out the phone for $390 I would have paid a total of
$822 for an iPhone 13 Pro. Keep in mind this is in Canadian Dollars and we have
the 256 Gb model which I believe was $1,129 here in Canada so getting it for
$300 less is not too bad of a deal.
Right now I checked and if I used the Apple trade-in program, they would give
me $615 Canadian for my iPhone 13 Pro and I'd almost may have to consider it
because if I pay out the balance of what I owe it means I pay $822 and get $615
so the phone would have cost me $207. By the time I would get my new iPhone I
would have had my iPhone 13 Pro for 10 months so essentially it would have cost
me $20 a months and my purchase price for an iPhone 15 Pro 128 Gb which is
plenty big enough for my purposes would be $834 after the trade in, here in
Canada the full purchase price is $1,449. I would then have a phone with the
new A17 chip which uses the new 3 Nanometer architecture and has USB-C and I
assume I'd probably be quite happy with that phone for the next 3-4 years.
But we are also thinking of new Apple Watches since we have the Apple Watch 5th
Gen which is now 4 years old so I think upgrading to a 9th Gen Apple Watch with
the new chip would be most likely a bigger upgrade for us than upgrading from
an iPhone 13 Pro to a 15 Pro; I also like the idea of the new gestures like
pressing 2 fingers together for answering a call etc. The 45mm Aluminum Watch
with Cellular I think was $769 here in Canada and I assume we could still get
$200 or $250 for our Apple Watch 5. Just have to run all the numbers and see
what we want to do; if we do only 1 device then definitely the watch this year,
also planning a trip to the Philippines to visit my wife's family and for our
10th anniversary since we got married there so we'll see.