From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of
Marc Rocheleau
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2012 1:08 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: iTunes 11 is out

While I agree in thinking people will begin to base more and more of
their laptop/desktop purchases to compliment their smart phone needs*,
I think it's a bit premature to say that apple won't continue to take
accessibility into consideration for iTunes on the PC.

With a few tweaks, the new version of iTunes works just as well,
almost exactly as well in fact, as the previous versions of the
software did on Windows. It's easy to bring back the side and menu
bars and the only thing broken is the labelling of the File, View,
Control, etc... menu titles -- the menus themselves still work. Once
you learn the new layout and make the necessary tweaks, the program is
hardly inaccessible -- this small thing is not a dealbreaker and using
it as proof that apple will abandon PC accessibility is a bit
ridiculous, imo.

Now if you had used the iCloud manager and website as an example when
they were released, that'd be another story. :P

* I am actually switching to a mac mini because I am strongly
contemplating the purchase of an iPad mini and will be upgrading to
the next iPhone when my contract is up in August.

-Marc

On 12/1/12, Christopher Chaltain <chalt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is just my own conjecture, but I'm not surprised Marco is thinking
> of getting a Mac to enhance his mobile computing experience. I think
> we'll see more and more of this in the future. For those people who
> mostly consume content, they'll think of a smart phone or a tablet first
> and then if they want to add a lapttop or a desktop to the mix, they'll
> base their decision in part on what will work best with their smart
> phone / tablet they've chosen to use.
>
> I'm also not as convinced Apple will continue to care about iTunes
> accessibility on the PC. Again, this is just my conjecture, but I don't'
> think this is a priority for Apple now. I would be surprised if they
> didn't focus first on iTunes accessibility with VoiceOver on the Mac. As
> the Mac becomes more and more popular, I think Apple will continue to
> lower the priority of iTunes on Windows in general and on it's
> accessibility under Windows in particular. Also, with more and more
> functionality showing up in the Cloud, there's less and less need to use
> iTunes under Windows. The lack of iTunes accessibility under Windows
> won't be a reason for people to not get an iPhone, and Apple's answer to
> the people who want or need to use iTunes may just be, OK, great, go
> ahead and get a Mac.
>
> I do see companies like GW Micro and Freedom Scientific doing everything
> they can do to keep iTunes accessible under Windows I don't see MS doing
> much though since they compete with Apple across the board.
>
> On 30/11/12 22:43, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
>> Hi Marco,
>>
>> I love my iPhone and I am sure there are many happy Mac users out there,
>> but
>> I think your logic to buy a Mac just because you think you may have a
>> better
>> iTunes experience to me at least makes no sense at all. iTunes works just
>> fine with Jaws and while I am only planning to install iTunes 11 tonight,
>> from the messages I read it sounds as if things are working well and that
>> using the menu button is an easy work-around at this point. In any case,
>> the
>> way I use iTunes, I don't even have to use the menus very often and I
>> wouldn't be surprised if this issue with the menus not reading properly
>> will
>> be fixed fairly soon.
>>
>> Apart from that I doubt you get a much improved iTunes experience on a
>> Mac.
>> Don't forget that there is still a huge majority of iTunes users world
>> wide
>> who use Windows computers and Apple will not stop improving iTunes for
>> Windows and I doubt Freedom Scientific will stop trying to make Jaws work
>> well with iTunes either.
>>
>> Of course if you have been looking at getting a Mac anyways just to learn
>> the OS and Voiceover because you like this type of stuff then it's
>> perfectly
> [...]

"There is no shame in being who you are. There's only shame in not
going down swinging to protect it"