Hi Penny,

Thanks for your questions. I can't yet promise a date for Grade 2 contracted braille. But we are working on it, and we are very excited about offering this in a future update!

We will look into an option for a horizontal keyboard layout, but I can't promise this. I certainly understand that this would be more intuitive. But as others have pointed out, it would require you to lay your iPhone on a desk or other surface.

Some people have discovered that BrailleTouch works for them when laying flat on a desk. They position their hands in a V-shape. Your index fingers are in the middle of the screen closest to you. Your ring fingers are in the far left and far right corners of the screen. This is undocumented and not in our User Guide. But it does work for some people, and is more like typing on a Perkins, though not exactly so. Make sure the flip dots setting is turned off if you try this.

There are other potential issues with adding a straight line horizontal keyboard option to BrailleTouch The touch surface on the iPhone does not cover the entire flat glass face of the device. Rather, it is a smaller rectangle in the middle of the glass. This means there is the potential that your fingers on the left for dot 3 and on the right for dot 6 would slip off the touch sensitive area of the glass. For example, you could type the letter T (dots 2-3-4-5) and your dot 3 finger could be on the glass but out of the touch sensitive area. BrailleTouch would then see dots 2-4-5 and say the letter J. This would be very frustrating and error prone.

You can try this for yourself. Place your iPhone flat on a table and pretend to type on a horizontal braille keyboard on the touchscreen. Then tap dots 3 and dots 6 and see if the touchscreen recognizes these fingers. I suspect for some of you that it will not, as these fingers will be on the glass but not on the touch sensitive zone.

I'm not saying that a horizontal keyboard layout is impossible. But it will be challenging to find a solution that will work for most people, be accurate, and not be frustrating.

On a related note, you can read why BrailleTouch is not available for the iPad here <http://brailletouchapp.com/faq.html#a8>.

I hope this helps!
Best,
Caleb