From: viphone@googlegroups.com [mailto:viphone@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2013 11:11 PM
To: viphone@googlegroups.com
Subject: RE: Standscan not holding together and other thoughts on the
product, was: Standscan pro - I admit defeat

Hi Keith,

I am not sure where you are, but I would just google it. Amazon probably has
them, I definitely know that Lee Valley Tools has them which is where I buy
mine. Lee Valley Tools is a Canadian company which sells woodworker
supplies, tools, all sorts of specialty hardware and so on. Their website is
www.LeeValleyTools.com. When you first go to the website you have only 4
links to choose from:
En - for English, Canada
Fr - for French, Canada
US - for the United States
Int - if you are an international customers outside of North America.

It's one of those stores where as a woodworker I should not go too often,
I've spend many thousands of Dollars there over the years. Here are a few
link for some of the rare earth magnets they have:

Rare Earth Circular Magnets:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=32065&cat=1,42363,42348
Here a bit of a blurb about their qualities, the largest 1 inch diameter
magnetwill ift a 30 pound block of steel:
Until you have actually used rare-earth magnets, you cannot appreciate their
strength. Rare-earth magnets achieve maximum attractive force when
sandwiched between two pieces of steel.
The 1/4" diameter by 1/10" thick magnet will lift a 2.5 lb block of steel;
the 1/2" diameter one will lift a 9 lb block - see the chart at right. It
all has to do with the electron array in the neodymium, the rare earth they
are made from.
There are hundreds of uses for these magnets - from holding keys or wrenches
on machines to making fridge magnets. Nickel plated with slightly rounded
edges, they can be glued in place with almost any glue (epoxy is the most
secure).
The 3/4" and 1" dia. magnets are so powerful that only people with very
strong hands can separate them without using an aid of some kind. This
presents a handling problem for us, so we sell them only in bundles of five,
with instructions for simple separation methods.
The 3/4 inch magnet will lift a 22 pound block of steel and the 1 inch size
a 30 pound block.
The odd one may have a minor chip in it since collisions can happen easily
at these power levels.

Rare Earth Ring Magnets:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=40075&cat=1,42363,42348
These are shaped like a washer with a hole in the middle and various outside
and inside diameter options are available.

Oh, and they are cheap, too, the quarter inch is 36 Cents a piece if you buy
less than 10, then they are 29 Cents, the 3/8 inch ones are 58 Cents and 46
Cents and the half inch ones are 85m Cents and 80 Cents, but those would be
way too strong for the purpose of holding the Standscan together.
I still have 8 of the quarter inch ones and I'll see if tomorrow I can
replace some of the ones that don't work with them and I'll report back as
to how it worked.